Further investigations in 21 cases: Attempted storming of the Reichstag is still occupying the judiciary – politics

Almost two years after Riots at the Reichstag building The Berlin public prosecutor’s office is still investigating in 21 cases. A spokeswoman said on request that a total of 85 procedures had been processed in connection with the events of August 29, 2020. At that time, participants in a demonstration against corona measures managed to get past the barrier and rush up the stairs.

In most cases (71) the investigators knew the accused by name. However, according to the authorities, the evidence was often not sufficient for punishment. According to the spokeswoman, a total of 51 procedures were discontinued. In nine cases, the public prosecutor’s office applied for a conviction by penal order. This is similar to filing an indictment. However, the penalty is pronounced without a hearing.

[Wenn Sie aktuelle Nachrichten aus Berlin, Deutschland und der Welt live auf Ihr Handy haben wollen, empfehlen wir Ihnen unsere App, die Sie hier für Apple- und Android-Geräte herunterladen können.]

Such a case is also occupying the Tiergarten District Court this Friday. A 49-year-old, who was said to have been part of the group of around 1,000 people at the time, did not accept a penalty order, according to the court. That is why it is now coming to the main hearing, it said.

About two and a half months after the incident at the Reichstag building, there were outbreaks of violence and massive attacks on police officers at a demonstration against corona measures in November 2020. Investigations are still ongoing. (dpa)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.